January 16, 2014 at 01:09pm
ST. PAUL (January 16, 2014) – Minnesota Farmers Union (MFU) is pleased the United Nations declared 2014 as the International Year of the Family Farmer.
“As a family farmer, I am excited that we will be celebrating the benefits and importance of family farmers throughout the year, as we celebrate the International Year of the Family Farmer,” said Doug Peterson, Minnesota Farmers Union.
Contributions from family farmers:
• 16 million jobs are created by agriculture in the United States;
• a farm food dollar is turned over seven times in our economy;
• one American farmer feeds 155 people;
• 20 percent of Minnesota’s economy is farm related; and
• one of five jobs in Minnesota is connected to agriculture.
“Farming drives our state and nation. I am proud of our history as farmers, and proud to represent family farmers who have the ability to provide food, fuel, and fiber for the world. The history and tradition of farming demonstrates the important role of family farmers in a renewable economy; in fighting hunger; in helping the economy thrive; in providing food security; and in sourcing energy. Celebrating family farmers and what they do just makes sense,” said Peterson.