MFU members adopt special orders, elect national delegates
ST. PAUL – Minnesota Farmers Union (MFU) members adopted special orders and elected delegates to the National Farmers Union Convention at their 82nd annual state convention, held Nov. 17-19 in Minneapolis.
The main purpose of the convention is to debate and pass the organization’s policy platform, which is developed by members at the grassroots level.
Delegates passed five special orders of business:
- Ensuring affordable and accessible care in rural Minnesota.
- Curbing monopoly power and protecting competition.
- Investing in climate resilience.
- Addressing the shortage of veterinarians.
- Passing a comprehensive farm bill.
The special orders of business are the organization’s main legislative priorities for the upcoming year. They are a timely message to policymakers about what Farmers Union members want them to act on in the near term.
Ten members were elected to represent the Minnesota Farmers Union as delegates at the National Farmers Union Convention, March 10-12 in Scottsdale, Ariz. The Minnesota delegates will join delegates from Farmers Union organizations from across the nation to set national policy during the convention.
Delegates who will represent Minnesota:
- Paul Benson, Mahnomen County
- Pam Pederson, Norman County
- Cynthia VanDerPol, Chippewa County
- Jim Falk, Swift County
- Lisa Phillips, Blue Earth County
- Tim Velde, Yellow Medicine County
- Kelsey Love Zaavedra, Chisago County
- Mark Thell, Carlton County
- Molly Byron, Waseca County
- Lindsey Zemanek, Rice County
The 82nd annual Minnesota Farmers Union State Convention was held at the Delta Hotels by Marriott Minneapolis Northeast, Minneapolis.
Gary Wertish of Renville was re-elected president of Minnesota Farmers Union and Anne Schwagerl of Browns Valley was re-elected vice president. Both are two-year terms.
About Minnesota Farmers Union
Minnesota Farmers Union works to protect and enhance the economic interests and quality of life of family farmers and ranchers and rural communities. MFU is a nonprofit membership-based organization. Membership is open to everyone. Learn more and join at www.mfu.org and follow MFU on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
# # #
Minnesota Farmers Union—Standing for Agriculture, Working for Farmers (www.mfu.org).