Every year, Minnesota Farmers Union and National Farmers Union offer numerous scholarship opportunities to members and their children. There is more than $14,000 worth of scholarship money available.
2022 Minnesota Farmers Union Scholarship Guidelines & Application
- Applicants must be completing their final term or have completed their final term of their senior year in high school.
- Applicants must have plans to attend or are currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution (technical or trade schools, community colleges, state universities or private institutions).
- Applicant’s family must be a Minnesota Farmers Union member.
- Applicant must have a commitment to rural Minnesota and its communities.
- Applicants must complete the Farmers Union Scholarship Application, Essay and have two letters of reference returned to the Education Director at Minnesota Farmers Union, Attn: Glen Schmidt, Education Director, 305 Roselawn Ave E, Suite 200, St. Paul, MN 55117 by the application deadline.
- Application requests should be sent to the above address.
- Applications must be completed by the youth to whom the scholarship will be awarded.
- Late applications will not be accepted. Applications must be in the MFU office by 5 p.m., Friday, April 15, 2022.
- Applications will not be returned to the applicant.
- Minnesota Farmers Union reserves the right to print any portion of the winning applicant’s scholarship essay in Minnesota Agriculture.
- Applicants must have two people (non-family members) write letters of recommendation. The writer must mail his or her letter of recommendation to Minnesota Farmers Union, Attn: Education Department, 305 Roselawn Ave E, Suite 200, St. Paul, MN 55117 before the application deadline.
- A committee will review all eligible applications received.
- Priority will be given to those who have not received a scholarship in the
- The committee will reach its decision by fall 2022. Scholarship money is paid directly to the applicant’s school after MFU receives proof of completed first semester and a GPA 2.5 or higher.
- The committee will consist of the President of Minnesota Farmers Union, the Vice President of Minnesota Farmers Union, the Minnesota Farmers Union Education Director and other Minnesota Farmers Union staff members as needed.
- $1,000 scholarship(s) will be given to Minnesota Farmers Union students.
- The winner(s) of the scholarship(s) will be notified in writing and featured in Minnesota Agriculture.
- The scholarship will be paid in full to the applicant’s institution upon the following:
- The student maintains a grade point average at or above a 2.5 in high school or their first semester of higher education.
- The student provides a transcript as proof of the above to the Education Director.
- The student provides the Education Director with the address of their college department responsible for scholarship fund intake.
- If the scholarship winner is unable to maintain a grade point average at or above a 2.5, an alternative plan of compensation will be negotiated between the student and the Education Director.